Mark me as a member of that minority too, guys. Nothing looks more like an incandescent bulb than an incandescent bulb. John, do you have any pics of your frame mods? I have two BLI E8s getting the Highliner treatment (hope to have some pics to post soon, I used a very different method to build them) that will be deskirted EL units and I would like to see how you did yours.
Post by onequiknova on Apr 14, 2014 18:22:36 GMT -8
The only pics I took are in this thread, but here they are again.
Basically, I removed the motor mount cradle flush with the bottom of the surrounding frame plus another .015". The extra .015" was so the brass plate I installed under the motor wouldn't hang below the bottom of the body. I mounted the brass plate by first glueing it, then drilling and tapping for screws which were then cut flush with the brass. A small hole was drilled into the brass plate so you can push the motor out from the bottom if it ever needs to be removed again. There is just enough room between the fuel and water tank to slip a small screw driver between them and push on the motor. The motor still mounts just as it did originally, it just sit a little higher.
Originally the drive shafts were level between the motor and trucks, but with the new motor position, the new drive shaft angle is still pretty shallow. About the same as a Kato SD unit. I did have to remove a bit of length from the hex portion of the drive shaft to allow for the new angle of the drive shaft. The original hex portion is quite long. Much longer than A Kato or Athearn shaft.
This unit has only been bench tested at this time, but I'm confident it will run just as well as an unmodified chassis.