Digging out those photos of an FM H16-44 posted in another thread lead me to this group of photos which are very moldy oldies. Or mildewed oldies if you prefer. I am sure that there was a Sunday while I built the model in 2002.
It is an ice house in Atlanta built from photos and plans by Thomas Yorke in RMC. Icehouses were common as dirt when I was growing in the fifties. Most repurposed. I lived in San Antonio in the eighties and they were still common as dirt; repurposed for all sorts of things. I have a model of one of those tucked away somewhere.
I closely followed the drawings and photos for this model. Making adjustments for available materials. The blocks are Holgate and Reynolds vacuum-formed vinyl sheeting which is actually 1/8" scale so I couldn't do a block for block reproduction. I had to adjust the placement of doors, windows and wall lengths to accommodate the blocks. The doors and windows are modified Grandt and Tichy parts. The "wood" loading dock is styrene as are lots of the bits. The roofing sheets are anodized aluminum foil which I embossed. (Black wrap used by photographers and lighting designers.)
The first picture is a scan of a photo accompanying the Yorke article. The remaining three are the model.
Last Edit: Mar 1, 2020 12:08:29 GMT -8 by Christian: Fixes and stuff.
First is one of a series of Penn Central Boxcars that I a modeling. The prototype was a Lot 136-B off the NYC that was a rebuild and stretch of a 40' PS1 Boxcar from Lot 842-B by the Beech Grove Shops, as these 400 cars were renumbered during the merger they were repainted even though the rebuild occured in 1967. The letter A means the car was restricted for clean loading items like flour or newsprint. This car was asssigned to Bufallo, NY for flour loading. I started out with a IMRC 50' Box, removed the side sill and made a new from Evergreen plastic to replicate the picture of the prototype, also lowered all the ladders and removed the roofwalk. Also substituted a 10' YSD Door for the 9' Door and in doing so I removed the cast on door guides and made new ones from Evergreen Plastic strips. Car was painted with Floquil Penn Central Green and lettered with Microscale Decals from a couple of different PC and NYC sets.
Next car is a Tangent PS 4740CF Covered Hopper, painted with Scalecoat II UP Covered Hopper Gray and lettered with Herald King Decals. Car was delivered just prior to the BN Merger and stayed in Burlington Paint for quite a while in grain service in the plains states.
A pair of Athearn SD45's with a mixed freight on the Strongsville Club Layout.
Thanks for looking,
Rule 1: This is my railroad. Rule 2: I make the rules. Rule 3: Illuminating discussion of prototype history, equipment and operating practices is always welcome,but in the event of visitor-perceived anacronisms, detail descrepancies or operating errors, consult RULE 1!
Post by kentuckysouthernrwy on Mar 1, 2020 17:03:25 GMT -8
This weekend I was asked by a member of this forum what my passenger paint scheme was....so I thought I'd look in my archives and see what I can find.
Actually I have two schemes: This is the Company officers train:
The train was made from Walthers Hiawatha cars and lead by a pair of Proto Alco FAs
The balance of my passenger fleet is streamlined stainless cars headed by this Alco PA and a matching PB
The green on all the photos is exactly the same, Polyscale Southern Railway Green but seen under different light sources. The lounge/obs was exciting to mask and paint as the entire tapered tail was clear.
I have been working on an Atlas SD35 and needed some class light blanks and didn't have any BLMA ones. I designed and printed my own and mounted them this week and they work really well. I designed them with a mounting post and they are super easy to mount. Dab of glue on the backside and they're good to go!
This my model of a Penn Central N6a caboose that was used in local and transfer service. Model was built from Wright Trak model that was once available from the Penn Central Historical Society. It is a well done resin model with etched metal parts including a very nice open platforms. The only big change was that the etched metal handrails were a little flimsy and flat so I carefully replaced them with 0.012 wire while utilizing the supplied stanchions. After 15 years they have held up very well. (Just started the first step of the backdrop).